2020-07-27

Too Much Money

One year, a day or two before Christmas, (many years ago before direct deposit) I went across the street to the credit union to cash my check. It was really busy as everyone was heading home for the holiday.

I handed my check to the cashier, he looked at it, set it aside and began counting out the money. He counted out a lot of money. Much more than he should have.

I didn’t touch the money, but said to him, “I think you made a mistake.” He gave me a very aggravated look, and before he could say anything, I said, “You’ve given me way to much money.”

He looked at my check, then at the pile of money he had counted out. He looked like he was going to faint. He took back the money and counted it again, then put most of it back in the draw, and gave me the correct amount.

He thanked me profusely and apologized. I wished him a Merry Christmas and went on my way.

I could have walked away with probably three to four times my pay, and he may have lost his job, but that’s not how I was raised.

Glad I did the right thing. I sleep very good at night.