1995-11-12

The Cleaning

While most of us try to take care of our teeth by brushing and flossing on a regular basis, we should still visit a dentist once or twice a year for a thorough cleaning. No matter how much effort we expend in the care of our teeth, some tarter and plaque buildup is inevitable. A semiannual cleaning by a professional is recommended as part of a good oral hygiene program.

Many people dislike dentist visits because they associate them with pain. This is not the case with me. I actually enjoy visiting the dentist. Having had regular cleanings and exams since childhood, going to the dentist is a positive experience for me. While occasionally I do need to have a tooth drilled and filled to repair a cavity, most of my visits are for routine cleaning and examination.

When I arrive at the dentist’s office, I enter the reception area and announce my presence. Arriving early, I get to wait for a short time before my appointment. I don’t mind the wait. I enjoy reading, and my dentist has boating and flying magazines that I find interesting. In fact, I’m usually in the middle of an article when the hygienist appears at the end of the hall, and instructs me to follow her to the room where she works.

Once I am seated, she asks the usual questions about health, family, and work. As part of the routine, my blood pressure is checked first. After recording the results, a paper bib is suspended from my neck by a small chain. The necessary tools: picks; scrapers; mirrors; a rubber polishing wheel; polishing paste; and dental floss, are then arranged on a tray next to the chair. A paper cup is placed on a pad to my left and filled by a tiny spigot. Next to the cup is a small sink that I am instructed to spit into during the procedure. The controls for these two items are explained to me, as they are during each visit.

Before the hygienist places her hands in my mouth, she puts on a pair of latex gloves. This precaution began when the Aids virus became prevalent.

Now that the preliminaries have been taken care of, the actual cleaning can begin. The hygienist tilts the chair back and lowers it. She then turns on a focused work light and aims it toward my mouth. With a curved pointed tool and mirror, the hygienist begins by cleaning around the base of each tooth, and under the gum line. Because this area cannot be cleaned well during regular home care, this tends to be the bulk of the work. She usually starts on the molars in the rear of my mouth, but tends to jump around rather than clean each tooth in order. This way, if there is any discomfort, it is not concentrated in one area.

Once the base of each tooth has been cleaned, any tarter or plaque buildup on the surface of my teeth is removed using a flat scraping tool. As the hygienist proceeds, she may revert to the pointed tool and clean around the base and under the gum line as needed.

After the real work is completed, it is then time for aesthetics. Using a small buffing wheel, the surface of each tooth is polished with special paste. To complete the job, the gaps between my teeth are cleaned using dental floss.

During this entire process, I am asked to rinse many times. Even if I have had the opportunity to brush and floss just prior to my visit, I am amazed by the debris that comes out of my mouth. After the cleaning is complete, I am left with a fresh, clean feeling in my mouth that is hard to achieve at home.

Now that my teeth are clean, it is time to look around and assess their condition. The hygienist, who by now has looked at each tooth in detail, inspects every tooth and it’s surrounding gum area again. She then prepares the area for the dentist by setting out a fresh pick and mirror, as well as inflating a pair of plastic gloves for his use.

While we are waiting for the dentist, the hygienist asks about my brushing and flossing habits. Usually my pattern of brushing is all right, but I am told that I need to floss more often. At this point I am given a new tooth brush.

Now the dentist enters the room to perform his dental exam. He begins by asking the hygienist if she has noticed any problems during the cleaning. Next he puts on the gloves that were set out for him. With a mirror and pointed pick, he pokes and probes various teeth looking for sensitive areas. While he is doing this, he may make comments about specific teeth for the hygienist to note in my dental record. If all is well, he will tell me that I need not come back until my next cleaning.

Now it is time to go. I get up out of the chair and proceed back down the hallway to the reception area. Before leaving, I make an appointment for six months ahead. Saying good-bye to the people in the office, I wish them well for the season to come.

This is a routine that was established for me by my parents when I was very young. Because I have kept it up through the years, my teeth are healthy and strong. Now that I have two girls of my own, they come with me to the dentist on a regular basis. I get out of work early, pick them up, and off we go. I have made it a special time for us to be together. I think it’s working; they seem to enjoy going to the dentist.