2007-03-17

Scrabble

I separated from my wife of 22 years in November of 2005, and was divorced in May of 2006. It wasn't my idea, but as I told my daughters, "You have to deal with the current reality."

Just before Christmas of 2006, I started spending some time with a woman (#1) that I met. I had been watching her since I first saw her in September, and the holidays presented an opportunity where just the two of us ended up going out to eat. It wasn't planned as far as I know, but that's how it worked out. It must have went well, as we are still spending a fair amount of time together.

I'm not sure just where the whole affair is headed, and I'm not sure that she knows either. But in the meantime, life is good, and I think that in some way we are good for each other.

So what does this have to do with Scrabble, you may be wondering.

At one point, #1 told me that she wasn't looking for anything exclusive, and I should feel free to see other women. My first reaction was to think, "Is this a trick?", but I figured, what the hell, I'll take her at her word, and if it is a trick, one of us is bound to learn something along the way, so I started seeing another woman (#2).

Well I still don't know if it was a test, but #1 quickly figured out that I was spending time elsewhere with #2. Eventually while watching television one evening with #1, the conversation turned to honesty. I let her say her piece, and then asked her where "Not saying anything at all fit in with lying versus telling the truth." I got the predictable answer, "Lies by omission."

At that point I told her that I had gotten her phone message the other day, where she said, "You must be with another woman because your not available." and indeed, that had been the case. We talked about that for a while, and the rest of the evening went well.

So now #1 knew about #2, but #2 didn't know about #1.

There were comments along the way that lead me to believe that #1 wasn't too happy about #2. But since I would never have thought to date more than one woman at a time if it had not been for her suggestion, I didn't respond to the various comments.

These two women were nothing like each other, and neither of them was anything like my ex-wife. I liked them both, but for totally different reasons. I didn't know what to do, but I figured that once I decided what I wanted my life to be like, it would be obvious which of the two to pursue.

And this has what to do with Scrabble?

#1 and I tended to walk, eat, attend lectures, watch television, have strange conversations about the most unlikely subjects, and generally hang out. #1 is very in tune with nature, loves natural things, and revels in the idea that she is not like other people.

With #2, I watched movies, we took turns cooking for each other, walked, and played Scrabble. #2 works in the corporate world, and deals with all that has to offer each day.

In time, #2 decided that things just weren't happening, and we stopped seeing each other. I'll admit, I did miss our time together, but It was also good to have some time for myself again, and I was able to be more available for #1.

I really missed having a Scrabble partner though, in fact I mentioned this to my daughter one evening.

Eventually, #1 made another comment concerning the other woman, and I told her that there was no other woman, as it hadn't worked out. So now we have been spending even more time together. I learned something, and perhaps she did as well, as she hasn't yet told me again that I should see other women.

So last night, in between falling asleep whilst watching television, I'm not even sure why, but I asked her if she ever played Scrabble. Imagine my surprise when she said it was her favorite board game, in fact she only plays Scrabble and Parcheesi.

So now your thinking, "This is great, right?" Well that was my first reaction, but now I've had a little time to think.

You spend time with some one, doing a variety of things, talking about all sorts of different topics, and just when you think you know them . . . you find out after three months that their favorite game is Scrabble.

So now you've got to wonder. What else about this person don't I know?

Is it safe to fall asleep?